Because pecan pie is a must-have at holiday dinners but a whole slice can be a big commitment, we made these bite-sized pecan pie bars, and called them the Pecan Pie Maple Shortbread Bars recipe. You are welcomed!
Pecan Pie Maple Shortbread Bars Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups roughly chopped pecans divided
- 1/2 cup unrefined granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter divided
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup (or Maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup Pure maple syrup (or light molasses)
- 1 tablespoon dark rum optional (or coffee liqueur or bourbon)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- Prepare The Pan: Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in middle. Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish then line with parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving a few inches of overhang on each side. Place the lined baking dish in the freezer until ready to use.
- Make The Shortbread Crust: Combine 3/4 cup of the pecans with the 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a food processor. Pulse until the nuts are a coarse meal. Add the flour and process until it's a fine meal and evenly mixed. Cut 8 tablespoons of the butter into small cubes, add it, and pulse until the mixture comes together in a clump.Using the back of a lightly floured measuring cup, press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish and place in the freezer for 10 minutes to cool briefly. Bake until lightly golden, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool at least 10 to 15 minutes before continuing. Meanwhile, make the filling.
- Make The Pecan Pie Filling: Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and roughly chop the remaining pecans. Whisk together the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar, corn syrup, maple syrup, melted butter, dark rum (if using), vanilla, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and eggs in a small bowl until well combined. Add the pecans and stir to combine evenly. Pour the pecan mixture over the crust and return the baking dish to the oven.
- Bake The Pecan Pie Bars: Bake until top is well browned, slightly puffed, and set (it will no longer jiggle when the pan is shaken), about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before removing from dish. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-inch squares and serve at room temperature or warmed slightly.