When Lily Kunin of Clean Food Dirty City travels, she has a short list of “must-haves” to keep her sane during long flights, delays, and everything in between. These little Lemon Chia Chews recipe have quickly made the list as her perfect travel snack. They are super refreshing, yet hearty enough to hold her over until she’s reached her final destination. To stay even more refreshed (and hydrated!) she loves packing lemon towelettes and lemon wedges to squeeze into her water bottles.
Go stock up on all your cooking essentials then head into the kitchen, make this, and share it with us by tagging @saltandwind and #swsociety on social!
Lemon Chia Chews Recipe
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats (use gluten-free oats as desired)
- 1/2 cup raw (unsweetened) coconut flakes plus more for garnish
- 8 Medjool dates pitted
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons Chia seeds plus more for garnish
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of sea salt for garnish
- Line a plate with parchment paper and set it aside. Combine the cashews, oats, coconut flakes, and salt in a food processor and pulse until a fine meal forms. Add the dates (make sure they are pitted!), water, chia seeds, and lemon zest. Pulse again until the mixture becomes a dough like consistency. Remove the dough and place it in a small bowl. With clean hands, roll into small round balls.
- Then, on a piece of parchment paper, roll into more coconut flakes and chia seeds as a topping. Once rolled in coconut, roll them again with your hands so that coconut sticks to the dough. Stick in the freezer to set and then pop them in a little container for travel!TIP: Chews can be made up to one week in advance. Store refrigerated or frozen in an airtight container until ready to use.