This is one of those sandwiches that usually don’t get the attention it deserves. Maybe the combination of flavors doesn’t totally resonate, or it’s just that people either love or hate tapenade, but, for whatever reason, this is a totally under appreciated combination. With spiced carrots and earthy olives, the sandwich pulls together bold Moroccan flavors in one tiny tea sandwich, and the bite-size package is as crave-worthy as it is cute. The name is long, Gougères Tea Sandwiches With Spiced Carrots, Tapenade, and Ricotta recipe, but the preparation is shorter, we swear.
Gougères Tea Sandwiches With Spiced Carrots, Tapenade, and Ricotta Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots ends trimmed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or another ground chili pepper
- 1 recipe Gougères made without pancetta and thyme
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 recipe Classic Black Olive Tapenade
- Pickle The Carrots: Slice the carrots into paper thin slices using a very sharp knife or a mandolin. Whisk together sugar, lemon juice, spices, salt, and oil in a large nonreactive bowl until well combined. Toss the carrots with the dressing and marinate covered and chilled, at least 4 hours.
- Assemble The Sandwiches: Slice all the gougères in half so that they can be used like sandwiches. Spread a spoonful of each ricotta and tapenade on all the sandwiches. Pile a few carrot slices onto each gougère, close with a toothpick, and serve.