When we were planning our Friends Who Fete Ice Cream Social party, we wanted to make sure we had a mix of recipes for the kids and the adults and an easy way to do that was to make twists on recipes from the ice cream to the sundae sauces. That said we made a Classic Salted Caramel Sauce and alongside it has this coffee-spiked version for a less sweet, more intense topping.
Coffee Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso or coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Start The Caramel: Stir together the sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan until the sugar is completely moistened. Brush the insides of the saucepan with a wet pastry brush to remove any sugar granules then place the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Without stirring but swirling the pan occasionally, let the sugar boil until it turns turns amber in color, about 5 minutes. Give the pan a few good swirls to make sure it’s evenly cooking, remove from heat. Immediately add the cream, butter, and coffee powder and swirl until the caramel is smooth and uniform in color. Return to heat and bring to boil, whisking constantly until smooth. Whisk in vanilla and salt, remove from heat, and set aside until ready to use.