Citrus season is something we look forward to all year round and nothing celebrates them quite like this Cinnamon Cayenne Citrus Salad! When you travel in California in the winter, the issue is not if you’ll come across citrus but how to use them, and we love using this prep for almost any citrus we come across.
Bright, warm, tangy, and sweet, this Cinnamon Cayenne Citrus Salad recipe is for ye who sought out Warhead candies as children. It’s an elegant play between tartness and sweetness that I absolutely love paired with crunchy cacao nibs. It can be made with any combination of citrus fruits (although you’d be wise to avoid lemon/lime).
If you’d like it less tart, use naturally sweet citrus like oranges, tangerines, mandarins and minneolas. I like the tartness of ruby red grapefruit in the mix, personally. Paired with the syrup, the different citrus fruits balance into a stunning show of brightness so sunshine-y it reminds us of our summer in Italy.
Cinnamon Cayenne Citrus Salad Recipe
- 1 ruby red grapefruits
- 1 orange navel, blood, or Cara Cara are all good
- 1 Minneola orange (aka Tangelo)
- 1/4 cup Pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- Cacao nibs
- Peel the grapefruit and oranges and slice the fruit into rounds. Remove the seeds and arrange your fruit on a serving platter. In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and cayenne. Drizzle the syrup over the slices of citrus. Sprinkle the cacao nibs over top and serve!