Consider yourself warned: you will need to make a lot of this Carrot Harissa Hummus because it goes fast.
Maybe that’s because it’s a twist on hummus, so it’s familiar but just a little bit different. Or perhaps because it’s a one-size-fits-most appetizer since it’s vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
I suggest you add it to your entertaining plans because it’s everything you want from a good entertaining recipe — easy, affordable, made ahead, and yet interesting enough that you can make a statement.
Carrot Harissa Hummus Recipe
For The Carrots:
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, chicken broth, or water
- 1 pound carrots roughly chopped and ends discarded
- 2 medium garlic cloves
For The Hummus:
- 1 (15 ounce) canned chickpeas
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini or almond butter
- 4 to 5 Large ice cubes
- 3 to 4 tablespoons harissa paste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons honey
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- To Cook The Carrots: Heat broth or water in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Add carrots and garlic, reduce heat to medium, and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from stove and cool slightly.TIP: Carrotss can be cooked up to three days ahead. Warm to room tempereature befor proceeding.
- To Make The Carrot Hummus: Combine carrots and 1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid with chickpeas and garlic in a food processor fitted with a blade. Process until the mixture is very smooth. Add olive oil, tahini or almond butter, and ice cubes and pulse until the mixture is smooth. Pulse in 3 tablespoons of the harissa, lemon juice, and honey, and season well with salt. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt, honey, or harissa, as desired. Place in the refrigerator to let the hummus cool off before using it for at least 1 1/2 hours.TIP: Hummus can be made up to three days ahead. Store refrigerated in an airtight containrer and let sit at room temperature a few minutes before serving.