After Sonja spent a few weeks wandering around Santorini, she wanted to bring some of the flavors of Greece home. Inspired by her trip, she created this Baklava Filo Cups recipe that has all the flavor of baklava without the tedious work.
Baklava Filo Cups Recipe
- 5 sheets filo dough
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 3 tablespoons honey plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch kosher salt
- 12 Mini Fillo Pastry Shells homemade or purchased
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Melt 1 tablespoon butter. On a clean workspace, place 1 filo sheet, taking care to handle it delicately. Using a pastry brush, gently brush the top with butter. Carefully place the next sheet on top of the first sheet (as exact as possible), smooth it out, and brush the top with butter. Repeat for all 5 sheets, brushing the top sheet with butter as well.
- With a pizza cutter, cut the large piece of layered filo dough into 12 rectangles by cutting the long side into 4 even strips and the short side into 3 even strips (trim off rough edges if necessary). Take each rectangle and mold it into the cup of a mini muffin tin. Bake for 10 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Chop the walnuts and pistachio then melt 1 tablespoon butter. Stir together the chopped nuts, melted butter, 3 tablespoons honey, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of kosher salt in a medium bowl until evenly combined. Divide the nut filling evenly among the filo cups.
- Bake the cups for 10 minutes, or until the nuts are fragrant and lightly toasted. Remove and drizzle with extra honey before serving. Serve immediately.