The minute the new season arrives, we head to the Hollywood Farmers Market and stock up on seasonal produce like it’s going out of style. Almost every Spring we make a different version of the same Spring salad with some combo of asparagus, sweet peas, and herbs, this year I’m pairing it with a sweet, tangy Poppy Seed dressing. This new season this Asparagus, Pea, and Arugula Salad with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing recipe will be your best friend in the kitchen.
Asparagus, Pea, and Arugula Salad with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe
For The Poppy Seed Dressing:
- 1/3 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 small shallot peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chilled heavy cream or Greek yogurt, optional
- 1/2 cup canola, grapeseed, or peanut oil
For The Asparagus Salad:
- 5 handfuls baby arugula
- 1/2 bunch pencil-thin asparagus ends trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup shelled English peas
- 2 cups sugar snap peas cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 radishes trimmed and sliced paper thin
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves
- 1 handful finely chopped pistachios
- Make The Poppy Seed Dressing: Combine vinegar, honey, shallot, poppy seeds, Dijon mustard, cream (if using), a pinch of salt, and olive oil in the carafe of a blender and process until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more salt or honey, as desired.
- Cook The Asparagus: Fill a bowl halfway with ice water then heat 1-inch of water in a large frying pan over high heat. Add asparagus and peas and cook until just bright green, about 3 minutes. Drain asparagus and peas then place in ice water until cool.
- Assemble The Salad: Combine all remaining ingredients aside from dressing in a serving bowl. Serve with dressing passed on the side.