Consider this Pomegranate Persimmon Wild Rice Salad Recipe the Little Black Dress of salads — it works for any occasion from a formal dinner party to a light lunch.
This Pomegranate And Persimmon Wild Rice Salad With Miso Dressing recipe came from humble beginnings (aka me cleaning out the fridge), and then I started sharing it with everyone around me. First for a casual lunch with the bf, then a dinner with the family, and finally at this year’s Thanksgiving in an attempt to make it a (slightly) healthier holiday.
It ended up being the supper star and, as such, it has been requested again for Christmas Eve — proof that I’m not the only person in love with this salad.
Tips To Make This Wild Rice Salad
- Make The Dressing Ahead: The Miso Citrus dressing is not only vegetarian, gluten-free, nut-free, and vegan (if made with maple syrup), but it can also be made well ahead of time. Make it up to three days ahead of time and make extra because you will want to use it on every salad you make!
- Make The Wild Rice Ahead: The wild rice can also be made up to three days ahead hence the reason it’s such an easy recipe for a party.
- Mix Up The Ingredients: Feel free to use what you have on hand. For example, brown rice or quinoa would work instead of wild rice. Pears or apple would work instead of permissions and almost any nut (pecans, almonds, cashews) would work instead of pistachios.
- Use Ripe Fuyu Persimmons: There are two main types of persimmons at the market — fuyu (which are tomato-shaped and firm like apples when ripe (and the ones pictured here) and hachiya (which are teardrop-shaped and soft when ripe). Slice the fuyu and use them like you would an apple.
Pomegranate Persimmon Arugula Wild Rice Salad Recipe
For The Miso Dressing:
- 1 medium shallot peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red miso paste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For The Wild Rice Salad:
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 4 medium ripe Fuyu persimmons trimmed, quartered, and thnily slcied
- 1 cup roasted, salted shelled pistachios finely chopped
- 4 ounces packed baby kale
- Make The Miso Dressing: Start by soaking the shallot (to get rid of any harsh flavor — you can skip if you'd like). Finely chop the shallot then soak in ice water for at least 5 minutes before proceeding. Drain off water then proceed.
- Combine orange juice, miso paste, vinegar, olive oil, honey or maple syrup, and shallot in a blender and process until the dressing is really smooth. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of salt, taste, and adjust seasoning as desired. Makes about 2 cups dressing.TIP: Dressing can be made up to three days ahead. Store refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Assemble The Salad: To serve, pour dressing over wild rice and stir to combine. Stir in pomegranates, persimmons, and half of the pistachios and stir until well coated in dressing. Just before serving, add greens and remaining pistachios and toss to coat in dressing.