Ever show up at a summer BBQ with a perfectly baked pie just to see that someone else has already baked a pie even more perfectly? This dish is not as American as apple pie — it is more surprising.
First we scrapped the pie in favor of crumble. Then we swapped out those played-out apples for perfectly ripe nectarines. But it turns out nectarines aren’t the only ripe summer harvest; chiles are also ripe for the plucking. We liked it. We ran with it. And we kept going until it got just spicy enough that it needed something to cool it down. Enter: frozen greek yogurt. Creamy enough to soothe the taste buds, but tangy enough to keep the party going. And that is how the Sweet and Spicy Nectarine Crisp recipe was born!
It’s going to please a crowd and have them wondering, “Who brought that ho-hum apple pie?”
Sweet and Spicy Nectarine Crisp Recipe
- 2 1/4 pounds nectarines cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1/2 cup unrefined cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 small serrano or Thai chile thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup roasted salted almonds or cashews roughly chopped
- Ice cream or Greek frozen yogurt, for serving
- Heat oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Butter a 10-inch cast iron skillet (or two mini (about 3-inch) cast iron skillets) and set aside. In a large bowl combine the peaches, sugar, lemon juice, chiles, cornstarch, and salt. Mix thoroughly using a large spoon, and transfer into skillet.
- In a medium bowl using a silicone spatula or wooden spoon, mix the butter and brown sugar until completely combined. Add the flour, oats, almonds, and salt and using your hands mix until just combined. Scatter over the fruit allowing pieces of nectarines to peek through.
- Bake on center rack until bubbling, and oat mixture on top is golden brown, about 40 to 45 minutes (about 20 to 25 minutes if using mini (about 3-inch) cast iron skillets). Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes before serving. Divide among plates or bowls and serve with frozen greek yogurt.