How do you escape? For me, it’s with the help of this Sparkling Honey Ginger Lemonade Recipe.
No matter how hectic it is when I’m in the air, this Honey-Lemon Gingerade is the remedy when I’m back home. There are versions of gingerade (aka ginger tea) in every culture that cooks with ginger, from places as far-flung as Jamaica and Bali, so there are tons of ways to make it.
But this is the method for perfection (if you ask me) because it makes for a gingerade with a bold, punchy flavor tamed by honey and mint. My favorite part is that it’s a vacation in a cup: one sip and you can almost feel the ocean breeze in your hair.
Sparkling Honey Ginger Lemonade Recipe
- 6 ounces ginger root
- 9 medium lemons
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup ice water
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups cold club soda
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- ice for serving (optional)
- Chop The Ginger: Use the back of a teaspoon to peel the ginger then finely chop it. Place chopped ginger in a mini food processor and pulse until it's pulverized.
- Juice The Lemons: Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler, remove the lemon peel in strips, making sure to avoid the white pith. Juice all the lemons (you should have about 1 cup of juice).
- Steep The Lemon And Ginger: Bring the 4 cups of water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger and lemon peels and set aside off the heat to steep for 10 minutes.
- Chill The Lemonade: Remove the liquid from the heat and transfer to a heatproof bowl. Add the 1 cup of ice water, the juice, and honey and stir to combine. Place it in the refrigerator until it is thoroughly chilled, about 45 minutes.
- Strain The Lemonade: Once the mixture is cold, pass it through a fine mesh strainer to remove the ginger and lemon peel then discard them. Add the club soda to the strained gingerade and serve immediately.
- Serve: To make one lemonade, smack two sprigs of mint between your hands, drop in a glass then add ice (if using) and top with gingerade.