Pizza for brunch may not be usual for you, but, when you try this Serrano Ham, Manchego, and Asparagus Pizza topped with a fried egg, we think it quickly will be.
The weather this past weekend was all sorts of crazy. I had tons of work to do but was in desperate need of a change of scenery, so, I packed up the office (aka my kitchen) and set up shop at my mother’s place. She lives near Palm Springs and the weather gets nuts out there this time of year.
It’s as if the skies can’t decide if they should be stormy and blustery or bright and sunny. So, instead of making up their mind, the skies flipped back and forth between frigid sideways slanting rain pouring down from menacing black clouds and crisp blue skies with blindingly bright sunshine. And, in much the same manner, the farmer’s market was caught in seasonal limbo with the last of the citrus on display next to the first of the asparagus, which I snagged pronto.
As such, Saturday breakfast ended up being this Serrano, Manchego, Asparagus, and fried egg concoction, which is my latest easy recipe for breakfast pizza. I’m well aware many have gone the breakfast pizza route before me and I’m sure I’m not the first to do a twist on ham and eggs, but I am not looking to break any records here. I just wanted a satisfying breakfast that would cheer me up regardless of what the skies unleashed and this Serrano Ham, Manchego, and Asparagus Pizza Recipe is perfect.
Go stock up on all your cooking essentials then head into the kitchen, make this, and share it with us by tagging @saltandwind and #swsociety on social!
Serrano Ham, Manchego, and Asparagus Pizza Recipe
- 8 ounces pencil-thin asparagus
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided plus more for garnish
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh whole wheat pizza dough
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 ounces Manchego cheese sliced paper thin
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices Serrano ham or Prosciutto
- Prepare The Asparagus: Heat oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Place a rimmed baking sheet on the rack while the oven heats up. Trim the ends of asparagus and discard. Slice asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces then toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, a pinch of salt, and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Roll Out The Pizza Dough: Meanwhile divide dough into 4 pieces then roll each piece to an 5-inch circle on a piece of parchment paper. Pierce the pizza dough in several places to prevent it from bubbling up unevenly. Divide Parmesan evenly among the four pizzas then top with Manchego and asparagus. Top each pizza with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake The Pizzas: Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven. Using the parchment paper, transfer two of the pizzas to each baking sheet then quickly place in the oven. Bake pizzas for 5 to 8 minutes then swap baking sheets between racks and, if using, add an egg to each pizza at this time.
- Crisp The Ham: Meanwhile, place the ham in an ovenproof pan or another rimmed baking sheet and place in oven 5 minutes or until just crisp. Continue baking until the crust is crispy, cheese is melted, and underside of dough is golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes more. When pizzas are ready, remove from oven, top each with a piece of ham and serve immediately.