It’s easy to go overboard during the holidays. To make too much food, with too many flavors, and then it all gets to be just too much. That’s why we always try to work in a side dish that’s just so simple and straightforward it can mix and match with pretty much anything. This Roasted Beets With Pistachios And Thyme recipe is all that and gets bonus points for being make ahead (and tasting better the longer they sit).
Roasted Beets With Pistachios And Thyme Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds baby beets trimmed and scrubbed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Aged balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 2 small shallots halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pistachios
- Crumbled feta cheese of shavings of Ricotta Salata, optional
- Heat oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine beets, thyme, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and salt and pepper in a baking dish and toss to coat. Roast until beets are knife tender, about 45 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle then rub off skins with paper towels and cut beets into sixths.
- Mix beets with shallots, vinegar, and olive oil, and the leaves of 1 thyme spring. Season with salt and pepper and let sit at least 1 hour. Toss with pistachios and feta, if using, just before serving.