Why should the Italians have all the fun with affogato? I mean, I get that they came up with pouring coffee over ice cream and, in true Italian form, it’s pretty perfect in its simplicity. But, I’ve been making Cafe de la Olla or cinnamon-spiced coffee and let me tell you: it’s pretty magical over ice cream!
Mexican Coffee Affogato Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup espresso ground coffee grounds
- Ice cream for serving
- 2 (3-inch) strips of orange peel
- Make The Spiced Simple Syrup: Combine water, sugar, and spices in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer then cook, uncovered, until mixture is well spiced, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Steep The Coffee: Remove from heat, add espresso grounds, and let steep to desired strength, about 3 to 5 minutes. Strain liquid and discard solids.
- Serve The Affogato: Pour the Mexican coffee over your favorite ice cream and serve immediately.