If a bagel and lox turned Swedish, I imagine it’d end up something similar to this Beet Horseradish Smoked Salmon Breakfast Toast recipe. Slightly sophisticated but stupidly simple to put together, if I could, I’d have loaded toasts like this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Go stock up on all your cooking essentials then head into the kitchen, make this, and share it with us by tagging @saltandwind and #swsociety on social!
Beet Horseradish Smoked Salmon Breakfast Toast Recipe
Make The Horseradish Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 2 to 3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar plus more for soaking shallots
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For The Toasts:
- 8 ounces French (aka sweet) baguette or whole wheat ciabatta thinly sliced and toasted
- 8 ounces hot-smoked salmon
- 4 small roasted and peeled baby beets thinly sliced
- 3 small shallots thinly sliced
- Fresh dill stemmed for garnish
- For The Horseradish Sauce: Whisk together yogurt, crème fraîche horseradish, 1 teaspoon of the vinegar, and salt in a small bowl; taste, and add more seasoning, as desired.
- For the toasts: Place shallots in a nonreactive bowl and just cover with vinegar -- set aside until shallots have mellowed in flavor, about 5 minutes. Drain vinegar from shallots then set aside. Spread each toast with a spoonful of the horseradish sauce, break apart salmon into flaked pieces and divide among toasts, top with beets, drained shallots, and dill, and serve.