If a bagel and lox turned Swedish, I imagine it’d end up something similar to this Beet Horseradish Smoked Salmon Breakfast Toast recipe. Slightly sophisticated but stupidly simple to put together, if I could, I’d have loaded toasts like this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Beet Horseradish Smoked Salmon Breakfast Toast Recipe
- 1/4 cup Plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 2 to 3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar plus more for soaking shallots
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces French (aka sweet) baguette or whole wheat ciabatta thinly sliced and toasted
- 8 ounces hot-smoked salmon
- 4 small roasted and peeled baby beets thinly sliced
- 3 small shallots thinly sliced
- Fresh dill stemmed for garnish
- For the horseradish sauce: Whisk together yogurt, crème fraîche horseradish, 1 teaspoon of the vinegar, and salt in a small bowl; taste, and add more seasoning, as desired.
- For the toasts: Place shallots in a nonreactive bowl and just cover with vinegar -- set aside until shallots have mellowed in flavor, about 5 minutes. Drain vinegar from shallots then set aside. Spread each toast with a spoonful of the horseradish sauce, break apart salmon into flaked pieces and divide among toasts, top with beets, drained shallots, and dill, and serve.