Say hello to our go-to game day recipe: Mini Potato Skins!
Be it Super Bowl or a weekend scrimmage, you can be sure that this potato skin appetizer comes along with it.
Why mini? Well, these Baby Potato Bites with Chorizo are by no means diet food but we like keeping them small. That way you can eat a lot without overdoing it. Or without having to commit to any one thing (perfect for a tailgate or a potluck).
Though, let’s be real, most of the time, we sit in front of a tray of these guys and swipe them through the sour cream with abandon and then sip this Grapefruit Beer Mimosa to wash it down.
Tips To Make These Mini Potato Bites
- Prepare The Potatoes Ahead: You can roast the potatoes and scoop out the flesh up to two days ahead. Store refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Use Bigger Potato Skins If You’d Like: Not into the mini version? No problem. Go ahead and pull out a few russet potatoes to make “regular” sized potato skins.
- Scoop While Warm: Our biggest piece of advice is that the potatoes are easiest to scoop out when they’re warm. So make sure they’re not too hot to handle but also not so cold where they fall apart when you try to scoop them!
- Use Mexican Chorizo Not Spanish: Make sure to use fresh chorizo (aka Mexican chorizo) in this recipe and not the salami that is called Spanish chorizo. If you’re lucky enough to have the choice between red and green chorizo, know that either will work well here.
- Add In Flavors As You’d Like: We like the spicy, satisfying, creamy, cool combo of flavors in these bites. But, by all means, customize them to you your taste. Any of your favorite nacho toppings will work here but we like them with chipotle mayonnaise, salsa verde, bacon bits, or all of the above!
Chorizo-Stuffed Mini Potato Skins Recipe
For the Mini Potatoes:
- 20 small baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon canola, grapeseed, or peanut oil
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
For The Potato Skins Filling:
- 8 ounces Mexican chorizo
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 medium green onions (aka scallions) thinly sliced
- Sour cream for garnish
- Roast The Mini Potatoes: Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the upper third. Place potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with oil, season with salt, and toss to coat. Roast until potatoes are fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- Brown The Chorizo: Set potatoes aside until cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, heat a medium nonstick frying pan to medium heat and cook chorizo, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare The Mini Potato Skins: Slice potatoes in half and, using a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out most of the interior (leave about 1/4-inch of potato flesh). Divide chorizo among the skins and top with cheese. Bake until skins are warmed through and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven, garnish with green onions, and pass sour cream on the side.TIP: Potatoes can be baked, and filling can be made up to two days ahead. Assemble and bake within 30 minutes of serving