I’ve been obsessed with all things verde lately, ever since returning from my trip to Baja California, be it salsa verde or Aguachile Verde. So, naturally, when I created a twist on a Bloody Mary for my fellow Californians at Hangar 1 Vodka, I went verde and made this Tomatillo Bloody Mary Cocktail recipe.
About The Tomatillo Bloody Mary Base
The base is and isn’t salsa verde aka tomatillo salsa. Meaning it’s a mix of tomatillos, chiles, and cilantro but then I added in cucumbers and tomatoes so that there’s no doubting this is in fact a Bloody Mary.
Rock And Roll Or Shake!
A lot of people use a cocktail shaker to, well, shake, when they make a Bloody Mary. That’s A-OK but we have thoughts about it. Personally, we feel that you want to “roll” a Bloody Mary instead of shaking it. To roll the cocktail, the technique is done by pouring the mixture back and forth between two mixing glasses.
The difference? Well, it may not seem significant but the difference comes down to how much air gets in the drink and how much it gets diluted by the ice.
When you “roll” the drink rather than shake it, there is less dilution which ultimately means more flavor. And, when you have this much flavor going on in the Bloody Mary base, well, you don’t want to ruin it by diluting it!
Tomatillo Bloody Mary Cocktail Recipe
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 pound tomatillos husked, trimmed, and quartered
- 1/2 pint (about 7 ounces) green or yellow grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 Persian cucumbers roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice plus more for mixing the cocktail and for garnish
- 1 serrano or Thai chile halved and seeded (if desired), plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces Hangar 1® Straight Vodka
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (not creamed)
- 3/4 teaspoon green hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 pinch of celery seeds
- Smoked sea salt optional for garnish
- Cooked shrimp peeled but tail left on, optional for garnish
- Tortilla chips optional for garnish
- Scallions optional for garnish
- Make The Tomatillo Bloody Mary Base: Combine the bunch of cilantro leaves, 1 pound of quartered tomatillos, the 1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes, the 2 cucumbers, 2 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, the chopped up serrano chile, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a blender and process until very smooth, at least 30 seconds.
- Make The Salted Rim: If you want a salted rim, take a lime wedge and run it around the edge of a tall glass and then dip the glass rim in the smoked salt.
- Make One Tomatillo Bloody Mary: Combine 5 ounces of the Tomatillo Bloody Mary Base mixture with the vodka, the horseradish, hot sauce, Worcestershire, celery seeds, and juice from the lime wedge and ice in one cocktail shaker tin. Cover it with a Hawthorne strainer to keep all the ice in that cocktail shaker tin.Roll the cocktail by pouring the liquids back and forth between the cocktail shaker and a large glass or second cocktail shaker.Repeat the rolling 5 to 6 times then pour the drink and ice into a serving glass. Top with any or all of the garnishes and serve immediately.