Yes, we're a food-first travel company so the majority of the time, our focus is on eating, making connections, and diving deeper into a destination.
But this year, more than ever, we've traveled to unplug be it a road trip, a trip with our inner circle, getting into the outdoors or all of the above.
And one place Californians often travel to escape it all is the Eastern Sierra. As you travel 395 by Yosemite, by Mount Whitney, and past Death Valley, the thing that hits you is the enormity of it all.
The second thing? The peace and quiet, making it one of our top places to unwind. Depending on the time of year and your level of adventure, you could ski Mammoth Mountain or backpack from Yosemite to Sequoia along the John Muir and Pacific Crest Trails.
Four Ways To Unwind In California's Eastern Sierra
But our picks for ways to unwind are activities that are meditative, calming, and allow you enjoy the great outdoors. Namely:
- Fly Fishing: The Alpine Lakes in the Eastern Sierra are stocked full of trout making it one of the top places to fish in California.
- Horseback Riding: There are all sorts of pack trails leading from the Mammoth Lakes basin that allow you to access nearby Lake Mary or head farther afield to Devils Postpile or Red Meadows.
- Hiking: If you want something low key there are numerous family-friendly easy hikes be it a loop around Convict Lake or, for more of a workout, ascending the mountains near June Lake.
- Kayaking: During the warmer months seemingly every other car has a kayak strapped to its roof and for good reason -- you can find everything from calm lake jaunts to more aggressive rapids in this part of California.
More Travel Information For California
Still need more info? Check out our California FAQs or write us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help travel planning!
Connect With Salt & Wind Travel
- Explore The Salt & Wind Travel Services
- Join Our Virtual Cooking Club
- Shop Our Store For Cooking And Travel Inspo
- Have Us Craft You A Custom Travel Itinerary
- Download Our Digital Travel Guides For Food Lovers
- Sign Up For Our Newsletter
More California Getaways On Salt & Wind Travel
- San Francisco to Palm Springs Road Trip
- Los Angeles To Big Sur Road Trip
- How To Savor Sonoma Like A Local