As native Californians, we love the food trivia that we have our very own BBQ style in Santa Maria barbecue. But we didn’t know how much we loved it until we learned all the ins and outs at BBQ Bootcamp. One thing we left with: the belief that homemade spice rubs are the way to go because it guarantees quality, freshness, and, of course, you can tailor it to your tastes.
The classic Santa Maria BBQ is made with nothing more than salt, pepper, and garlic, but we added in a few other flavors — Mexican oregano, Ancho chile powder, and Spanish paprika — that may not be traditional but each give a nod to the culinary influences in the region over time. A bit smoky, a touch spicy, and a ton flavorful, this is a simple barbecue chili rub that is our go-to spice blend for everything from chicken to tofu to pork chops!
Now you know what rub to use for your next BBQ, get ready your Santa Maria Barbecue-Inspired Chili Rub recipe.
Santa Maria Barbecue-Inspired Chili Rub Recipe
- 1/2 cup ancho chile powder
- 5 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
- 3 tablespoons dry mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to mix well. Store in a container with a tight fitting lid in a cool, dark, place.