I’m not going to try and claim this is anything close to a traditional Mai Tai because I don’t dare face the wrath of Mai Tai aficionados. Think of this as a Mai Tai light as it’s tamed with passion fruit juice (look for the 100% juice kind, not the sugary soda-like stuff in most stores).
But, made with the essential ingredients like rum, lime juice, and orange liqueur, it is thoroughly Mai Tai in every other respect. And be sure to treat yourself and use top-shelf rum so that you get the full effect.
Passion Fruit Mai Tai Cocktail Recipe
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- 3 ounces 100% pure passion fruit juice (no added sugar)
- 1 ounce light rum
- 1/2 ounce freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau or other orange liqueur
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup
- 1 ounce dark rum
- Make The Mai Tai: Smack a few leaves of mint and drop them into a cocktail shaker. Combine passion fruit juice, light rum, lime, orange liqueur, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker and fill it halfway with ice.Shake about 10 to 15 seconds, then strain into a chilled rocks glass, add a few ice cubes, and garnish with remaining mint leaves.
- Float The Rum: To float the aged rum (see photo below), place the tip of a spoon perpendicular to the inside edge of the glass, turn the curve of the spoon toward the ceiling, and slightly angle the spoon downward.Slowly pour the liquid to be floated down the spoon toward the inside of the glass and, so long as the liquid is less dense than the other liquids in the glass, it will float.