Raise your hand if you’re as into the chocolate-hazelnut combo that is Nutella, Baci, and Gianduja! This ice cream nods to that and goes big on the chocolate-hazelnut flavors with chocolate ice cream combined with toasted hazelnuts and layered with a chocolate-hazelnut sauce swirl. You can always add Baci, Nutella, or other chocolate candy to this Hazelnut Chocolate Baci Ice Cream recipe.
Hazelnut Chocolate Baci Ice Cream Recipe
For The Ice Cream:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar divided
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese softened
For The Chocolate Sauce:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup espresso or strong coffee
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup whole hazelnuts toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread stirred and warmed until pourable
- Make The Ice Cream: In a bowl, stir together 1/4 cup milk and the cornstarch; set slurry aside. In a 4-quart saucepan, whisk together remaining milk and the cream, 1/2 cup of the sugar, syrup, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 4 minutes; stir in slurry.Return to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Place cream cheese in a bowl and pour in 1/4 cup hot milk mixture; whisk until smooth. Then whisk in the remaining milk mixture.
- Make The Chocolate Sauce: Bring cocoa, brewed coffee, and the remaining 1/2 cup sugar to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan over high heat; cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate.
- Stir sauce into the ice cream base. Pour mixture into a gallon plastic bag; seal, and submerge in a bowl of ice water until chilled. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker; process according to manufacturer's instructions. Just before turning off the ice cream maker, add the hazelnuts and let mix for just a few seconds.
- Immediately remove the ice cream from the maker and layer it into a 1 pound loaf pan. Layer one-third of the ice cream into the loaf pan then add half of the hazelnut sauce and spread to the edges of the pan. Layer with another third of the ice cream and the hazelnut sauce. Top with remaining ice cream, transfer to a storage container and freeze until set.