It turns out we sometimes have cooking amnesia – like, we know we really like broccolini but forget.
Then we’ll have some of it charred and perfectly cooked and we’re all about broccolini all the time.
We’ll toss charred broccolini in pasta with browned sausage, have it as a side with some garlicky toasted breadcrumbs, or put it in this Charred Broccolini Feta and Pistachio Salad Recipe. And, of course, we even make variations on this salad, say, with toasted quinoa one day, roasted salmon another, or slices of avocado the next.
Crumbled Feta and Toasted Pistachio Charred Broccolini Salad Recipe
For The Broccolini:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound broccolini
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium lemon freshly squeezed
For Serving The Salad:
- 5 ounces baby spinach, kale, or chard
- 1 cup cooked black-eyed peas or black lentils or black beans
- 1/4 cup roasted and salted pistachios finely chopped
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Cook The Broccolini: In a small cast-iron fry pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until almost smoking. Add half of the broccolini and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly charred and crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and transfer to a plate.Warm the remaining 112 tablespoon olive oil in the pan and cook the remaining broccolini. Season with salt, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Return the first batch of broccolini to the pan and toss to rewarm, about 30 seconds. Serve immediately.
- Serve The Salad: Arrange the greens on a serving plate then top with black-eyed peas, pistachios, feta, and charred broccolini. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and squeeze lemon over the top and serve.