How do you throw a Bridal Shower for the travel lover in your life?
Bring her favorite destination to her! For this latest friend Who Fete party, my fellow "Feters" — Kate of ¡Hola Jalapeno! and Meg of This Mess Is Ours — did just that. As a post elopement celebration, the ladies threw me a belated Bridal Shower inspired by a place high on my bucket list: Morocco!
Yes, yes, I know, it's not okay with many a wedding etiquette guru to throw a bridal shower for a bride who eloped. But, the reality is, this isn't the 19th century and I didn't elope to run away and marry in secret. I eloped because we're kinda spontaneous people and we decided very last minute to make our marriage official. (You can read all about my elopement here, btw.)
Anyway, elopement or not, this shower is pretty perfect for anyone who loves far-off places and is constantly daydreaming of her next getaway. That's why the girls settled on a full-on wanderlust Bridal Shower with decor, food, and every last detail having a thoroughly global vibe!
WANDERLUST BRIDAL SHOWER
As a travel lover, my bucket list has way more to do with where I want to go next than a bridal registry. And ever since I lived in the North African-dominated neighborhood of Paris, Morocco has long been on said list. Kate and Meg knew that so they decided to bring Morocco to me!
This party was a mix of Moroccan flavors and decor mixed in with bright, airy, California vibes. Not one place more than the other, the mix of the two made for a totally chic party that is a wanderluster's dream!
SMALL BITES BRIDAL SHOWER MENU
That whole Morocco meets West Coast feeling was all over our menu too. To us, the best bridal shower menu is lots of small bites with all sorts of fresh seasonal flavors. And, since so many Bridal Showers are from Spring to Summer, we latched on to all our local seasonal flavors.
Here's the full menu but keep scrolling for a closer look:
- Moroccan Passionfruit Mint Iced Tea | Salt & Wind
- Vanilla Bean & Plum Syrup | This Mess Is Ours
- Apricot & Orange Blossom Syrup | This Mess Is Ours
- Pineapple Hibiscus Syrup | ¡Hola! JALAPEÑO!
- Easy Watermelon Canapés | This Mess Is Ours
- Avocado Deviled Eggs with Dukkah | ¡Hola! JALAPEÑO!
- Gougeres Tea Sandwiches With Moroccan Braised Chicken | Salt & Wind
- Gougeres Tea Sandwiches With Mint, Dates, and Goat Cheese | Salt & Wind
- Gougeres Tea Sandwiches With Spiced Carrots and Ricotta | Salt & Wind
- Asparagus and Potatoes with Harissa Goat Cheese Dip | ¡Hola! JALAPEÑO!
- Spicy Papaya Lime Shrimp Skewers | ¡Hola! JALAPEÑO!
- Individual Pistachio Meringues | This Mess Is Ours
Obviously, a few links in no way do these recipes justice so here's a play-by-play.
Like a twist on classic Southern Sweet Tea, this is a tart, spiced, sweet take on Moroccan Tea. Whereas classic Moroccan tea has tons of mint and some sugar, here we added in cinnamon, cardamom, and passionfruit for a sipper we'll drink all summer long!
Never mind those bottled purees and syrups for Mimosas, we made the following syrups from scratch and then set them up on a bar so guests could add as little or as much as they'd like to their drinks:
These whipped feta, cucumber, and watermelon bites that Meg created are so crave-worthy we ate them all in minutes flat. They're super simple to make and would be as good for a nicer backyard barbecue as a shower!
In our friend group, it's well known that Kate is a genius when it comes to Deviled Eggs. And her genius move this time was to use avocado in place of mayo and to top it with dukkah, which, if you haven't had it is a totally fabulous spiced nut mix.
If there's ever a time to pull out tea sandwiches, it's during a shower, don't you think? These are a twist on the classic made with tons of Moroccan flavors and, in place of boring old bread, we used airy cheese puffs known as Gougeres!
- Gougeres Tea Sandwiches With Moroccan Braised Chicken and Pickled Onions
- Gougeres Tea Sandwiches With Mint, Date Paste, and Goat Cheese
- Gougeres Tea Sandwiches With Spiced Carrots, Tapenade, and Ricotta
Harissa is our favorite spicy sauce from North Africa so Kate mixed it into this light, not-too-spicy dip that is the perfect pairing with crudites!
These sweet, spicy shrimp skewers pretty much are going to become your new favorite way to make shrimp!
And to end a super dainty dessert. Meg made these airy but chewy meringues that were a total hit!
DIY CHAMPAGNE BAR
If you ask us, if there's a group of ladies and something to celebrate, bubbles are in order! For the occasion, we pulled out all the stops and made a Champagne Bar for guests to make their own twists on mimosas with a bunch of homemade syrups.
The gorgeous little bubble bar was marked off with a stunning watercolor menu that had all sorts of homemade syrups from Apricot and Orange Blossom to Pineapple Hibiscus to Vanilla Bean and Plum. Head over to This Mess Is Ours for a full-on step-by-step of how to make your own Champagne Bar. For now, here are a few peeks into it all.
DECOR // SHOP THE PARTY
Yes, every time we all get together for a Friends Who Fete celebration, we go all out on the decor. To start Meredith (you remember her altars from the past Friends Who Fete parties, yes?) made a showstopping floral wreath that we fell head over heels for! Our friends at Melissa's Produce not only gave us some gorgeous produce but also donated some gifts to our giveaway (scroll down for more info). Oh, and, here are a few of our favorite tabletop pieces from the party:
- Robert Siegel Studio Oval Platter
- Gold matte flatware
- Handmade watercolor menu
- Banana leaves for lining platters
- Moroccan tea glasses
- Whimsical brass accents for the buffet
- Tropical Bali leaves wallpaper
- Ceramic blue & white platter
This time, in addition to bringing all our own favorite finds, we teamed up with Jimmy and Moana of Hunted Fox design studio. They invited us into their gorgeous studio in Downtown Los Angeles and pulled out all the stops and thought of every last detail in the space and we had total design envy!
Here are a few of their goods from Hunted Fox, which you can buy for yourself or your bride-to-be friend::
- Black and White Hawaiian Print Lumbar Pillow
- Abstract Black Lumbar Pillow
- Shibori Indigo African Mud Cloth Ottoman
- Black and White Mud Cloth Ottoman
- The Carhart Leather And Canvas Pouf
- Vintage African Indigo Mud Cloth Chair Lumbar Pillow With Fringe
- Orange And Green Hawaiian Print Accent Pillow
- Contrast Stitch Leather Ottoman
MAJOR BRIDAL GIFT GIVEAWAY
It's a bridal shower so gifts abound! That's why we decided to go all out and include a giveaway of fabulous bridal gifts (stand mixer! a Dutch oven! a gorgeous handmade pillow!) that anyone would love. Valued at over $1,000 we are giving all of these lovely items to one lucky winner. Head here for all the details on how to enter and good luck!
Connect With Salt & Wind Travel
- Explore The Salt & Wind Travel Services
- Join Our Virtual Cooking Club
- Shop Our Store For Cooking And Travel Inspo
- Have Us Craft You A Custom Travel Itinerary
- Get Our Digital Travel Guides For Food Lovers
- Sign Up For Our Newsletter
More on Salt & Wind Travel
- Bachelorette in Wine Country
- How To Elope In Thailand (In 30 Days Or Less)
- Lavender Bellini Cocktail
Photos by Salt & Wind and This Mess Is Ours