We’re totally smitten with toast — top it with cinnamon sugar, pear compote, or avocado, and we’re there. But as of late we’ve been very much partial to this toast. Inspired by the toast we had over the weekend at the SHED Cafe in Healdsburg (a place we’d move into if they let us), we made our own version with a very season twist.
Smashed Berry Ricotta Lavender Toast Recipe
- 1/4 cup whole raw almonds
- 1 tablespoon raw flax seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried culinary lavender buds
- 1/8 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Pinch Sea salt
- 1/2 pint (about 6 ounces) fresh raspberries plus more for garnish
- 8 ounces strawberries hulled, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey divided
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 8 (1/2 inch) slices seeded whole wheat bread toasted
- For the topping: Toast the almonds and sesame or flax seeds in a dry pan over low heat until just golden brown and there’s a nutty smell, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool a few minutes then place in a mini food processor along with the lavender and poppy seeds and pulse a few times until the mixture is finely ground.
- For the berries: Place about 3/4 of the raspberries in bowl and smash until all the berries are broken up. Stir in the honey or coconut sugar, balsamic, and a pinch of salt. Stir in the remaining raspberries and strawberries, and set aside until ready to use.
- For the ricotta: Place the ricotta and honey in a bowl or in a small food processor and pulse until it is a light, airy consistency, about 10 pulses. Add a pinch of salt and the lemon zest and mix until well combined. Taste and add more salt or honey, as desired.
- To assemble the toasts, divide the ricotta on the toasts and top with a spoonful of the berry mixture (with a bit of their juices). Sprinkle the nut mixture on top, finish with a tad more salt, honey, and zest and serve.