Ok, naming this a Hawaiian Pineapple and Ham Grilled Cheese recipe is a bit misleading.
It’s named so because we use Hawaiian-style sweet bread and the combo of pineapple and ham is claimed to be “Hawaiian” by seemingly every other pizzeria stateside.
But, let this be a PSA on behalf of all our Hawaii friends out there. They’ll have you know that Hawaiian pizza didn’t come from Hawaii and that pineapple and ham aren’t some one-size-fits-all flavor combo out in the Islands.
But what they can’t deny, is that no matter how it comes together, pineapple and ham make for a really delicious combo – especially when cheese is involved and especially when it’s in this Pineapple Ham Grilled Cheese Recipe.
Hawaiian Pineapple Ham Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 8 brioche burger buns or Hawaiian-style sweet dinner rolls
- 8 slices Swiss cheese or your favorite sliced cheese
- 16 slices Black Forest ham or Canadian bacon
- 8 slices pineapple rings, halved
- Dijon Mustard or Honey Mustard (optional)
- unsalted butter or coconut oil, at room temperature
- To assemble the sandwiches, trim the cheese and ham as needed to fit the bread. If using mustard, spread it on the inside of the rolls then divide the fillings among the rolls and close to form 8 sandwiches then spread the outside of the sandwiches with butter or coconut oil.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat then add the sandwiches and cook until golden brown. Flip and press down on the sandwiches with a spatula and cook until the second side is brown. Serve.